Thursday 20 June 2013

Chiltern Shakespeare Company perform 'The Merchant of Venice'

I’m going to put it out there: I love Shakespeare and I think that you are wrong if you don’t too.
On Wednesday evening, I went to the gorgeous open air theatre in Beaconsfield to watch a performance of The Merchant of Venice by the Chiltern Shakespeare Company. It was the perfect day to go as it had been the hottest day of the year so far, and was still warm late at night. I’ve never seen or read this play before – the most performed of all Shakespeare’s. For your inner geek who finds Shakespeare’s influence on the English language and basically life in general as fascinating as I do, the ‘pound of flesh’ bargain struck between Shylock and Antonio is apparently the origin of the phrase ‘to bleed someone dry’. If you aren’t familiar with the play and are concerned about why I’m talking about the delightful topic of flesh, here’s the passage where the two characters enter into the deal. This kind of agreement could have made studying contract law a LOT more interesting….

To with me to a notary, seal me there
Your single bond; and, in a merry sport,
If you repay me not on such a day,
In such a place, such sum or sums as are
Express'd in the condition, let the forfeit
Be nominated for an equal pound
Of your fair flesh, to be cut off and taken
In what part of your body pleaseth me.
 (1.3.17)

The location of the theatre at Beaconsfield Hall Barn is beautiful. It’s like being in a period drama. My mum said she kept expecting Mr Darcy to walk around the corner. You can get Pimm’s and cake (I recommend) as well as other refreshments, before, after, and during the interval. Having the performance outside, I think, just added a touch more authenticity and appeal than even the best West End Theatre. For a Shakespearean play especially, I literally cannot think of a more appropriate setting. My parents went to see Macbeth there last year, and in total contrast, there had been thunderstorms throughout the night, which again they said just added to the macabre and supernatural themes in Macbeth.
The wonderful Chiltern Shakespeare Co. performed the play and I couldn't fault it. I'm impressed by excellent stage acting, and this was brilliant! I'm no expert on acting/directing/casting, unlike my blogging pal Gareth, whose blog can be found here (was that seamless or just shameless?!), but I was enthralled for the whole two-and-a-bit hours. Profits go to a chosen charity.
The first half is focused on the bargain, and on various surrounding love interests between characters. I especially loved the conflicting characterisation of Shylock, the lender, and the interwoven and comical plot line of suitors battling to win Portia. The second half portrays the drama of the courtroom scene, building tension but also incorporating hilarious dialogue, where almost all the male characters become targets of Portia's and Nerissa's wit and fun, in surprising and subtle ways.
Having known almost nothing about The Merchant of Venice, the open air theatre or the Chiltern Shakespeare Co. before, I had a fab evening, learned a lot more about Shakespearean drama and can safely say I'll be going to the next play!


No comments:

Post a Comment