Monday 5 August 2013

And one that won't be appearing on there any time soon....

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

When I was about 7 I read 'The Witches' by Roald Dahl and it freaked me out so much that I couldn't even have the book in the same room as me at night. True. Now I have similar sentiments towards this controversial book.
OK, I get that it's meant to be a 'modern classic' with insights and warnings about modern captalism and I definitely can see that. But mainly it just creeped me out. 
Patrick Bateman is a high-flying young investment banker, shallow, superficial and rich. When he's not sealing deals and attending events, he's indulging his id by torturing, raping and murdering.
You want to know what's going to happen next but at the same time you dread the inevitable horrific depictions of violence and abuse - so much so that I could only read the first two-thirds before admitting defeat getting my dad to tell me how it ended. And even after all that, I can't say I'm not intrigued to watch the Christian Bale film. I'm just working up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment