Wednesday 2 October 2013

'Delirium' by Lauren Oliver

This little gem was another gift from Hodder & Stoughton. I’d heard about it before; there are a lot of reviews comparing it to the Hunger Games and Twilight series. I can say with little doubt that Delirium is much, much better than Twilight! As for the Hunger Games books, I haven’t read them – I keep meaning to, but to be honest I think I’d rather keep girl crushing on Jennifer Lawrence on screen…

Back to the point, dystopian fiction isn’t usually my first port of call; I’m always a bit cynical of it for some reason. But Lauren Oliver actually had me enthralled early on – I finished this within a few days, and that’s with 25 hours of uni a week! Delirium is about Lena Haloway of Portland, Oregon who lives in a post-apocalyptic world where love is a disease – those with it are shunned and teenagers undergo a procedure to prevent ‘catching’ it. Oliver constructs this clinical and harsh world with brilliant precision and description, juxtaposed with the rebellious personalities of Lena and Alex.


If I have to pick out a criticism it’s only that at times it was slightly too lovey and mushy for me! I don’t generally go in for all that though so generally I doubt readers would find it too over the top. Other than that, you’ve got an original storyline, believable and warm characters and a series of exciting events. Without giving away the end, Oliver ends the book on the most tense cliffhanger that I just can’t wait to get my hands on the next in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment