Saturday 1 February 2014

A quick update...

Bonjour and happy February to you all!

I don’t know about you, but so far 2014 has been very busy for me! I started off the New Year at home, and then went over to Northern Ireland for a few days to spend time with family. When we returned I had a lovely early birthday celebration with friends from home before heading back off to Poitiers.

Stranded at Daft Eddy's. There are worse places to be stuck for an afternoon.
It was straight back into lectures at uni and trying to revise for my last exam at the same time. Luckily I’m doing some very interesting and relevant political-based units this semester, such as international relations and methods of political science, so I’m enjoying the lectures, which always helps!

Last week marked my 21st birthday, and after being very spoilt with a meal out and some gorgeous presents from the Poitiers group, off I went to Paris for the weekend to spend a fantastic couple of days with friends from home and Bristol (well, you do only turn 21 once!) We managed to pack loads into the weekend – naturally, all the tourist trips to the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Galeries Lafayette and Versailles as well as a hilarious birthday night out. I’d never visited the Palace of Versailles before and loved it – plus it’s free for EU residents under 26. If I was there in the summer I could easily while away a lazy afternoon wandering around the palace gardens. Another recommendation would definitely be the Le Marais area of the city, with its quirky streets, cute cafes, unusual art and, most importantly, the BEST falafel I’ve ever eaten.


Excited for falafel
From the Eiffel Tower
Versailles. Let us eat cake.


Sleep, of course, was sacrificed. You can’t have it all!


Back to books and the blog then, and I’m just getting through Austen’s Emma at the minute so will be blogging about it in the next few days. Next on my list will be something by William Boyd or Ian McEwan, both two of my favourite authors, so keep your eyes peeled!

I’ve also got a bit of exciting news (well, exciting if you’re into your poetry, anyway). I entered a poetry competition last year and just before Christmas was sent a compilation book called Between the Lines with my work in it, published by United Press. If you’re interested in this sort of thing, get in touch – I think competitions are a great way of getting your work noticed as well as motivating yourself to get writing!


1 comment:

  1. PS. I now have a Goodreads profile - as it insists on telling me, I apparently have 0 friends so far and am a bit clueless as to how to use it. Follow me! www.goodreads.com/lauradavidson

    ReplyDelete