Thursday 13 February 2014

Lille & Brussels

Last weekend I took a wonderful little trip up to Brussels via an afternoon in Lille. Now that I’m nearly halfway through my second semester of university over here, I’ve started panicking that I’m not making the most of living in France, so have started trying to see more of what’s around me while I’ve got the chance!

Lille is one of my favourite places I’ve visited in France, if not the best so far. I went there for a day on the Eurostar about 10 years ago and was looking forward to checking it out again. If you’re short on time like me, I recommend heading for Vieille Lille (the old town) via the Grand Place and taking your time getting lost in the cute little streets in the area – there’s a vibrant market, as well as interesting shops and unique cafes and restaurants. The cathedral is definitely worth a nose around too, and if I’d been there longer, I’d head to the Musee des Beaux Arts too.


The next day, it was round two of tourist fun in Belgium, the country that put me up for a couple of years back in the day! I took the tram into Brussels and jogged my memory by visiting the main square, the Mannekin-Pis, the museum, and naturally, one of the hundreds of incredible vendors selling Belgian waffles. Waffles are compulsory and I'm quite sad I didn't think to take a picture before scoffing mine down as they're an incentive to go in themselves, so I'm linking you instead to The Waffle Blog to make up for it. Don't click if you're on a diet! I think Brussels is a brilliant capital city as it’s just the right size without being too small or too daunting. It’s a city of fusions – buildings and park areas, French and Flemish, culture and fun. Definitely one to visit if you’re looking for a European weekend away!





No comments:

Post a Comment